View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #48
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
This is not to resurrect the discussion about the Andersen being "not what it's cracked up to be" or "too light", just some observations.

Post 18 posts some unclear pictures of an accident involving a guy that ran into a stalled car - mistake. There are unclear pictures of some of the damage including damage to the Andersen hitch. It would be easy to then say "it's too light" or "not what it's cracked up to be" but I would say there is more to the story than what the guy that had the accident said.

If you pull up the facebook post he made with much better pictures it is clear that the ball did not shear; neither the bottom or the top. It is clear the bottom of the hitch pulled off the ball in the bed. It is also clear that the red adapter on the king pin pulled off the top ball. Hitch failure? Owner failure? There is a very robust lock pin that goes in the bottom connection, just like a Demco or other brand. There is also a locking pin that has to be activated to lock the adapter to the kingpin. A failure to do either would result in what those pictures show (actually probably the bottom pin). So hitch failure? Owner failure (after the failure to observe/stop for the stalled vehicle)? I've seen pics of accidents much worse than those facebook pics and the Andersen held so I'm going with the latter.

I do not want to start the previous conversation on these hitches, everyone likes what they like. I would just encourage folks to not jump to conclusions based on blurry pictures or any other preconceived perceptions and think through a situation. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote