Thread: Batteries
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Ford View Post
Yes two 6 volts are better than two 12 volts, but one Lithium is the best.
"Best" is Subjective....

here is why: The single lithium is 90-100AH however that does not mean you can run that full 100AH down as lithium batteries have built in controls that limit Lithium batteries from full 100% discharge so you may get 80-90 out of that battery at a cost of $1000 ea

Two decent AGM 6V will have 225-250AH, while some here tout that 50% is the low threshold of non lithium batts to prevent damage the battery industry suggest 30% (70% discharge) is OK. Regardless take the 250AH 6v combo and only use 50% that is 125AH usable AH that is 32% more than the Lithium AH at roughly 1/2 the cost of Lithium.

SO the argument is Lithium will last longer than AGM or Wet, double is subjective however even if true Lithium at twice the cost makes it all a wash in the long run, and unless you place to keep you RV for 8-15 years, the lithium value is just not there.

While Lithium is a great technology (have a Tesla I have owned for 5 years now) the consumer 12v still needs work to improve AH vs cost.

The big advantage though is Lithium weights much less then lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Schweizer View Post
I installed 4, 6 volt 225 cca Interstates wired in series when I purchased new. The first set lasted about 7 1/2 years. I know they would have lasted longer but one of the battery posts was loose inside the battery. So I replaced with 4 new Interstates. $ 115.00 per battery, which I think is a good price for Interstates. 1 solar panel on roof with 1500 watt inverter. Plenty of power when dry camping 7 plus days as long as its not cloudy and rain. If its cold I run a small electric heater and that keeps us plenty warm rather than running furnace.I also use the inverter to blow up the air mattress , toaster, coffee TV's, DVD's, etc,. Electric/propane refer. I keep batteries on a charger/ maintainer all winter when not in use . Batteries always 100%. I really never use my 2 Hondas for backup, just for the girls hair dryer.
I considered buying 4-6 of the Interstate Batteries at Costco who has an amazing price on them however the reviews are HORRIBLE with many saying they barely last 1 year. While you original ones lasted 7 years, how old are your newer ones?

Costco currently has the Interstate 6v at $98 ea which is rediculous.

I have decided I will likely buy AGM 6V, I can buy 4 with a usable AH of 250-300 for a little over the cost of a single 12V Lithium at 90AH.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote