Thread: Arctic Package
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 07:23 AM   #43
Boxer44

M.O.C. #2758
rames14

We lost the battle to keep our water lines open when the temp hit -28. When that happens, I put a 5 gal bucket under the sink and run the winterizing hose from the water pump into the bucket to provide a limited amount of water for the trailer. I think the freezing problem is associated with the hot and cold drain lines that extend out the bottom of the trailer. I have these insulated but I don't think I have enough for really cold temps. I'm going to try and add more insulation but hope we've seen the last of the really cold temps.

Another problem we have when the temp drops below -20 is that the propane doesn't vaporize well enough to run the furnace efficiently. I solved that problem by putting 2 100 watt light bulbs inside the propane storage compartment. They keep the tank at about +20 even with -20 outside.

One last problem we've encountered is that our diesel doesn't want to start when it gets down around -20 so I have to start it about every 4 hours since we don't have a heater on the engine.

In general, I have been impressed at how well the trailer handles the really cold temps. You get some really severe temp gradients around the trailer with it being around 68 in the center of the trailer to around freezing on the outside walls.
Boxer44 is offline   Reply With Quote