View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #19
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
and yet another opinion. I will try and add some thoughts that haven't been mentioned.

1. slide toppers. No problems with them yet. They can be noisy (3-4 times in 2 years of mostly weekend camping) and once I pulled the slides in due to the wind and fear of ripping them. However, I have had to pull the slides in while it was raining on 5 or 6 occasions, once in a virtual downpour. If you bring all that water into the interior and then drive down the road it is got to so somewhere......

2. We have a portable Kipor 3KW generator and have used it on several occasions. In addition to boon docking we have used ours to:
a. prepare meals while on the road in a rest stop or overnighting at a Walmart (very hot night made nicer!)
b. when the campground lost power.
c. when I work on the unit (prep or mods) since I have to store it in a storage lot, it is nice to have power....
d. The generator, not being installed in the RV has been used at the house for other applications.

3. We have the extended warranty. Haven't had to use it yet but I feel alot better having it. One other thought is you don't have to purchase the warranty right away. Most can be purchased up to a year after the sale, prior to the factory warranty expiring. Good in that it requires less money at the start, bad in that if you procrastinate you can miss the deadline. Also purchasing at time of sale can allow you to include that cost in your loan amount.

4. 2nd A/C. Didn't have it when we brought it, got it after the first summer. DW has allergies so we use A/C alot vice opening windows. Virginia Summers are not overly oppressive but we both felt the one unit didn't handle the load adaquately. We were wired for the second A/C unit but had them diconnect the wire at the back of the electrical panel and wire it up to a heavy duty 20 amp extension cord, that plugs into a standard 3 prong 110v outlet. Now even when we are at a campground with 30 amp service we can run both A/Cs. Even with only one A/C unit you may have trouble on 30 amp running the A/C AND the microwave at the same time. This set up lets us turn off the A/C running on the main power panel while cooking but still have the front A/C providing cooling for the rig. We have a rea kitchen so the down draft from the main A/C is right over the cook and is kind of loud so Lisa really appreciates securing that A/C while cooking and still having the air inside the unit cooled (by the front A/C running on the 20 amp cord). I have a thread under the Mods archive that has photos if you are really interested. the 20 amp cord also is easy to plug into the generator during lunch breaks on the road without having to run a dual 30 amp cord from the rear of the unit up to the truck bed if we want to use the A/C during our meal or check the weather channel while we eat..

5. don't have a washer/dryer so can't opine on that.

Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote