View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobbyd13

1. I have read elsewhere on this forum that slide toppers may only last 3-4 years. With 4 slides, this could be a considerable expense. I understand the purpose of the toppers, but considering the initial cost and replacement cost, are they really a worthwhile option?

First off, we are full timers, having lived in our rig for going on nine years. We don't have the slide toppers for three reasons: 1) Noisy in the wind; 2) Stretching of fabric; and 3) We couldn't justify the cost

2. One option available is a generator. With the unit installed under the bedroom area, how much of an issue does noise and vibration become? Is the noise they create loud enough to be bothersome to surrounding neighbors?

We boondock a lot and have solar panels. We carry a Honda 2000i generator for those times when we might need some extra charge. At the time we purchased our rig we didn't even think of a generator. I think it's a personal choice. As for noise, I don't think they're not any noisier than in a motorhome.

3. Are extended warranties worthwhile? Do the RV manufacturers offer them or are they only available through second parties?

I wouldn't be without an extended warranty. Ours has paid off more than what the total cost of the warranty. We've found that the best extended warranty to get is one that your dealer works with.

4. Is it recommended to have a second A/C unit in a rig 33ft or larger? We have a single ducted unit in our 30ft TT now, that has been sufficient so far, but we have never had the TT in the sustained high temperatures of the south or west.

We spent the entire year from January 2008 up to the present time in Desert Hot Springs, CA. Hottest temperature last summer was 118° F and we made it with only one Dometic AC and our rig is 36 ft. with three slides. I couldn't justify the additional cost. Another thing you need to think about is when you're connected to 30-amp power, two air conditioners will not work. If they both try to start at the same time, the surge will trip the campground breaker.

5. Is a washer and dryer unit worth the cost and does it prove to be adequate in the washing and capacity?

I'm not qualified to answer this question, however we are glad we didn't have one installed in our rig. We are wired and plumbed for washer and dryer but we use the entire area as a coat closet and are happy to have it. We don't mind having to go to the laundry room when we have to. At least that's what my wife keeps telling me. She likes to go to a laundry and use three washers at one time. Says she gets done much faster than having to wash three loads, one at a time. I agree.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote