View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
All the above but check on one thing when dealing with an extended warrant.

You will want an "Exclusionary Extended Warranty," and most likely $100 deductible. An exclusionary warranty covers everything except those items specifically listed as excluded. Read the fine print, then decide. To get an idea, search on: rv extended exclusion warranty.

Slide Toppers: We sat in 45MPH gusts and finally pulled the slides in becasue of the flapping noise. However, there are other means of securing the toppers with flat straps that will eliminate the flapping. If you are under trees and it rains, the leaves, twigs, etc., will stick to the topper when it is being rolled up so you will need a brush that you can reach from the ground as DW is slowly retracting the slide. This is an occasional occurrence so you have to weigh the benefits. I prefer the toppers - but I have never had a unit without toppers so I have no comparison.

Generator: I spent $4500 for an Onan 5500w generator and the only time it got used in 1 year of ownership was when I tested it. It will definitely come in handy if you do a lot of boondocking but be prepared if it is a propane generator as it will suck up 30# of propane in 8-12 hours depending on load. If I had to do a 5th wheel over again I would do without a built in generator and should the need arise I'd purchase portable ones that could be used anywhere. The new technology on portable generators is like whisper quiet. (The Onan was very quiet)

Definitely on the second AC.

The RV washer/dryer or W/D Combo is a choice issue. My DW prefers the stackable as we had in the 3400RL. We now have a combo and she does not like it as well. In both cases she says the loads have to be smaller. It's a must have for her. Personally, I don't care where the laundry gets done, and I do it sometimes.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote