View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
First, we are full timers and have been in this unit for 20 months. We have put 10,000+ miles on the rig. I chose not to have the slide toppers, (1) the cost to perceived value (2) flapping in the wind issue.

We chose not to have the Onan generator (1) cost to value, out of line (2) We do very little, if any boondocking (3) I prefer to have lighter weight portable units like a pair of the Honda 2000ie which still could be stored in the front bay, but taken out for other uses apart from the RV.

On our previous unit (2003 Big Sky), we had an extended warranty. It came into play twice. Once for front leg motor and gear box replacement and once for expensive repair of the main A/C unit. Those repairs ran about $900 each. Much larger issues can arise, so I recommend some kind of extended service policy. Just make sure it pays when you need it. We have one on this new rig.

I highly recommend the second A/C unit. In august, in central Texas, one unit cannot keep up much less cool the unit after you have stopped and set up after towing in hot weather.

Dianna would not be without her Ariston stacked washer and dryer sold by Splendid. We chose the stackables because washing and drying can be done concurrently. Loads are smaller and 110 ac drying is slower, but the washer is fairly sophisticated and the dryer has a full range of controls. This washer is better than the Kenmore stacked units we had in the 2003 RV. This unit has a larger capacity than the Kenmore, but is still small compared to your stick house units.

You asked for opinions. These are our opinions and some of the reasons (or justifications) for those decisions. Others will have different opinions or justifications. You will notice that we all tend to think our decisions are the best ones.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote