View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobbyd13

We currently own a travel trailer and are considering upgrading to a fifth wheel. We have narrowed our selection down to couple of specific manufacturers and models. We are leaning toward a 2009 Montana 3665RE. We would like to solicite inputs and advice from some long time/full time RVer's.

1. I have read elsewhere on this forum that slide toppers may only last 3-4 years. With 4 slides, this could be a considerable expense. I understand the purpose of the toppers, but considering the initial cost and replacement cost, are they really a worthwhile option?

If camping in high wind areas, I wouldn't want the slide toppers. We have them, and the wind shakes the whole RV.

2. One option available is a generator. With the unit installed under the bedroom area, how much of an issue does noise and vibration become? Is the noise they create loud enough to be bothersome to surrounding neighbors?

No experience on this one.

3. Are extended warranties worthwhile? Do the RV manufacturers offer them or are they only available through second parties?

With the quality I've seen in RV manufacturing, I would want the extended warranty (service contract)on any brand.

4. Is it recommended to have a second A/C unit in a rig 33ft or larger? We have a single ducted unit in our 30ft TT now, that has been sufficient so far, but we have never had the TT in the sustained high temperatures of the south or west.

I would get the second unit. It'll be there in case you need it. Nothing like being in a hot place with one AC and it won't cool. We added the 13.5 Dometic Penguin our first summer here in TX.

5. Is a washer and dryer unit worth the cost and does it prove to be adequate in the washing and capacity?

That will be a priority for us next time. Of course, we full time, and have to go to the laundry ever week.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote