View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 06:35 AM   #5
Dtullip

M.O.C. #29399
Leaking slide cylinder

I know this is an older post, but I have experience with having a slide cylinder leak. I have a 2018 40' Montana. We are full time and are at about 20k miles. I developed a leak in one of my slide cylinders about a month ago. I tried to get someone to replace while on the road, but no luck. I decided to try and get home which was 2 months out and fix myself. It really is messy. The good thing is it only leaks while traveling as the piston has a good seal. It does not leak when extended.. It is the external seal that has failed. It has gotten worse. Here is my temporary solution. Get a small plastic (not paper) Dixie cup. (1 cup size) Cut out the bottom and down one side. Make a notch in cup to fit over fitting at end of cylinder and then make a lip at bottom with duct tape. Leave about 1/4 inch of tape folded over to inside of cup. This will create a seal when you slide over the cylinder. The tape lip should fold into the cup.. Place the cup around the cylinder shift and tape the seam. Try to keep the seam at the top. This creates a funnel that will direct the leaking fluid out over the I beam. Buy a pack of shop towels and wrap a towel around the shaft and push inside the cup. You can tape in place or use a small clamp on cylinder shaft to hold in place. I have to change ever 200 miles, but it contains the mess to the towel. Just keep an eye on the reservoir tank level and keep a couple of quarts of fluid on hand. Hope you find this helpful!
Dtullip is offline   Reply With Quote