View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #24
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
The Dually does not weight that much under normal 5er towing you are assuming GCWR is maxed out, most dually will not be loaded to 14K , then some of the trailer weight is on the pin that you were not considering. So a say a pin weight of 3500 and a balance of the 5er at 12K is nearly a 16K 5er and then the likleyhood of your Dually GVWR being maxed in very remote for 99% of folks which allows you to tow even more. A F350 dually dry is about 7500lbs-8000lbs so it is a long way to 14K. You are really only limited to the combined Actual weight not potential weight.
So, you would say it's based on WHAT you weigh, NOT what you CAN weigh if maxed out. What you can weigh, in my understanding is GCWR, and according to website I sited above, if you're over 26K you need the ClassA/B license in KS. So, at that point, it doesn't matter what your actual vehicle weighs, it is what the TOTAL weight CAN be.

This seems to be a lot harder to understand than it should be, and some of that is because of the language used. Again, on the back of my license, it says "any single vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 lbs". What is the definition of "single"???
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote