View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Half happy - HAPPY CONCLUSION!!!!

Long story short, I had a contractor cash a $3,000 check that he wasn't supposed to (silly me to have given it to him in the first place). I've been trying for months through small claims court to get my money back. Long crazy process with no guarantees.

I could garnish his wages if I knew where he worked. I could garnish his bank account if I know his bank and account number. The court doesn't help. I knew he worked at a hardware store but when I called they said he'd left.

I'd pretty much given up, but Sunday evening I was out with a girlfriend who is househunting. We finished looking at a house and headed home as it was getting dark. Two houses down, we drove by a black Ford pickup... HIS pickup! EIGHTY miles from his house, SIXTY miles from my house! Holy crap!

I told my girlfriend, "That's $*#^%^'s truck!" She said, "Do you want to say hi?"

Hell, yes!! She backed up and I jumped out of the car. He was in his truck, getting ready to leave; he must have been working or estimating a contract there. Long story short, after several minutes of yelling and excuses, he offered to write a check for $1,000, I told him where to stuff it, I wanted $3,000. $1,500... stuff it, started to walk away but went back. By now I was crying (sorry, guys, I'm just a tender female) and I took the check for $1,500. He asked if I was happy. I said I was only half happy and still wanted the rest.

As we drove off, I looked at the check and D-OH! Now I know his bank and account number! Went to the courthouse first thing the next morning to ask what to do. They said to cash the check (it was good!); then back to the courthouse to put a garnishment against his checking account. I felt SO good! The lady at the courthouse pointed to a gazillion files in a cabinet and told me 75% of "successful" plaintiffs never see a dime of their money. So at least I got half of mine back.

Oh BTW, I also have a lien on his property, so he's toast if he wants to sell his house. He'll find out about the garnishment in the next day or two. I'm going to love the phone call when it comes.
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote