View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #17
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
A loud blaring horn is more likely to have the opposite of the desired affect, startling the driver and causing him/her to let off the throttle and hit the brake rather than to speed up. Making the situation even worse.
Better idea. Accept the fact that everyone drives differently, look far ahead and anticipate the slower drivers, let them go their way, and then go yours. Much better for your (and their) peace of mind, reduced stress, and overall happiness. Relax, slow down, and enjoy life to the fullest while you can for you too will be an old geezer before you know it.

Don't sweat the small stuff. And that definitely is small stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I was thinking the same thing; as much as I would like to blast an air horn sometimes. I know when I hear one it scares the heck out of me.

Guys, go back and reread what I said in my OP. This has nothing to do with the slowpokes already on the road but to do with those that are day dreaming/texting/phoning/discussing the weather with your companion/recovering from last night while slowly wandering down an interstate entrance ramp and not merging at some reasonable speed, not 20-40 mph slower then the traffic already moving.

As far as anticipation - been doing this with a 5er since 1976 with, to date, zero fender benders so am well versed on that.

Those entry ramps in eastern Upstate NY and New England - well let's just say that way too many have obscured sight lines that don't give you much reaction time. While my speed is usually well under the speed limit, even disc brakes on all eight possible places still wont stop over 20,000 pounds very fast. That speed - I used to haul at 65-68 mph. With today's crop of drivers, I've reduced it to probably 55-60 and usually stay in the RH lane, of course complicating the issue

My desire for a louder horn is to bring awareness to those that are NOT paying attention entering my space on the road, not to blast them off the road..
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote