View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 12:54 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Advise from an old tireman-----------
Back when we had bias ply NYLON cord tires we had flat spotting on tires that sat for any length of time. Even in the winter on a particularly cold night we had flat spotting. It was like driving on a washboard until the tire heated up enough to round themselves out again. This may be what these folks are referring to but with the advent of polyester cord and radial ply tires the flat spotting no longer occurres. Many years ago they recommended REMOVING the tireand wheels and storing them in a cool dark spot in the basement. Even away from florescent lighting. With the new rubber compounds and construction most all of that advise has gone away.
Storing any vehicle DOES NOT require anything special being done to the tires.
Blockage---As far as placing something under the tires during storage, I would want something under them if I was sitting on soil. Be it dirt or grass but only to keep them clean or to stop the tires from settling into a rut. On hard packed gravel or stone or concrete I would do nothing.
Tire covers---If you feel it necessary you can cover them for protection from light but covered or not a tire will begin to show signs of age with 5 to 7 years. Personally I wouldn't bother covering any tire and again I would use that money for something I really want.
Air Pressure---Tires should ALWAYS be inflated to the proper air pressure and storage doesn't change that. Store your vehicle, TV or trailer, at the same tire pressure as when you are driving/towing that vehicle. For the first month I would check the tire pressure weekly. If they were found to have no leaking during the first month than I would begin to check the pressure monthly.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote