View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 02:05 AM   #10
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
IMHO the 'quality' argument either way isn't how we should look at it all. I think it's more about how we perceive the 'value' of our RVs. I've had eight RVs of all kinds & brands save Class A, and ALL had issues of one kind or another. Some very minor, none major thankfully.

Considering all the different components from different manufacturers that go into any RV, the end product's 'quality' isn't really something that can be laid onto just Keystone. Buying any large RV/trailer is just like buying a house. Just because a toilet or refer fails doesn't mean you holler at the builder. Sloppy assembly of an RV is the same as sloppy construction of a house. (Ever done some renovation and seen how your house was built? Can be quite scary!) Anyone buying a home and not inspecting it both by themselves and a professional inspector is begging for problems. Why anyone would pay $30k, $60k, $100k or more and not do this completely escapes me. There are horror stories all over the internet from people who've bought new or used homes and had all sorts of major issues, but people still buy them.

Considering the features, floorplans, usability and capabilities vs. price of a Montana, I'm quite happy with ours. DRV and a few other high end 5ers may have better 'quality', but I don't want the level of debt I'd have if we got one of them. (That in spite of requiring a bigger truck - well, maybe that wouldn't be so bad . . )

A final note: One thing I've noticed on many RV forums is that much of the time the loudest complaints come from people who really didn't understand what they were buying or getting into. They thought they'd be able to drive off into the sunset and everything would magically work perfectly even if they never read a manual or listened to someone tell them what to do. Once I ran into someone who didn't know how to hook their brand new coach up to the utilities at a camp site. Go figure . .