View Single Post
Old 10-23-2004, 07:47 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
FW Brake Squalling - possibly solved

Some of you know I posted awhile back that the brakes on our Montana have let out a loud squall sometimes but not always. It has done it since day one. Some of you reported having the same problem, which is why I'm posting now.

We recently had the axles replaced. Alko-Kober also replaced two drums because they "didn't like the way the bearings looked". On our way back to Pla-Mor and then to the Keystone factory a couple of weeks later, Vicki and I remarked how we'd not heard a single noise out of the brakes. We figured the new drums solved the problem. Wrong!

On our way out of Indiana the brakes started squalling again. This was right after I stopped and retorqued the lugnuts. You know how you do that every 50 miles or so until the lugnuts no longer need tightening?

After a full day of this squalling and having finally finished the tightening sequence I realized maybe I'd overtorqued some of the lugnuts. I was using a torque wrench but we were driving in rain and I didn't look at the dial very closely, just cranked those suckers down. 24 lugnuts in the rain.

So, I loosened all the lugnuts and started all over on the tightening sequence. We immediately noticed NO squalling. And for the remaining several hundred miles of our trip, no squalling.

So, if you have this problem, you might consider loosening and retorquing the lugnuts. I believe the proper torque numbers from the axle manual is 90 ft-lb, if I recall.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote