View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #22
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Just my 2 cents but I will weigh in on this issue between 12 ply Rainiers and 14 ply G-rated Sailuns. I for one have had a tire blowout and changed to the spare on the side of the road. Trust me.....that's no fun!!!

When we purchased our 2019 Montana High Country, I drove it less than 1000 miles before removing the factory 12 ply Rainiers and switched to 14 ply Sailuns. My reason is simple...if you take off a 12 ply Rainier and pick it up in one hand and the pick up a 14 ply G rated tire of the same rim size, you will be able to see and feel a definite difference between the two. The 14 ply tire is noticeably heavier.

If you compare the thickness of the side wall and the stiffness of the sidewall, the 14 ply is noticeably thicker and heavier.

If you compare the thickness and stiffness of the outer tread, the 14 ply is noticeably thicker and heavier.

I for one am not sold on Sailuns...I am simply sold on 14 ply G rated tires for our 38 foot long camper. I believe the additional weight, thickness and stiffness of the 14 ply is superior and I feel better towing with them.