View Single Post
Old 07-05-2023, 01:31 PM   #6
Fred
Established Member

M.O.C. #26030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
Has anyone out there changed out their truck headlights from OEM (usually halogen) to LED bulbs? I pull with an HDT (Volvo) and find the low beams not very bright. I've tried new halogen bulbs with a little improvement but not much. They are aligned correctly, the outside covers are clear and in good shape, and the inside projection reflectors are like mint.
Has anyone tried LED bulbs, whether in an HDT or not?
I believe that one has to be careful to keep the lumen number (brightness) down below 8000 for low beams as to not blind oncoming traffic? But not sure if the 8000 lumen number is really correct. Some of the LED bulbs I've seen are WAY too bright and would be dangerous for other traffic.
Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.
My F-450 came with the factory option LED headlights and foglights. They light up the everything. They are amazing.

The surprising downside is that the lenses DO NOT GET HOT ENOUGH in a strong snow storm to melt the snow on the headlights and snow will build up on the lens and block the lights. This is not much of an issue for me because I don't see much snow in Southeast Virginia; but I did have problems and was surprised a couple of years ago driving through Connecticut in a snow storm. I had to stop several times to clear the lenses.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote