View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Wayne, I think my problem went further than your thinking. When support finally got me back into my email account the perpetrator had changed the password, and all the other profile information contained in there, including the so-called secret questions used for identity purposes. They also changed the alteranate email address to their own (or a fake) so I would not get notified that the password had been changed. Interestingly, the address they used in their profile was Nigeria. I had also made the mistake of using the same password for Facebook so they got into that account as well and tried to contact some of my "friends". Support told me that hacking email passwords has become an art form and their purpose is to try and solicit money from your contacts. The lesson learned for me was to use more complex passwords and not use the same one on many different accounts. Luckily, the email account they got into was not my primary one. It is the account I use to do all my online shopping so all the advertising goes there instead of my primary email account.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote