View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #13
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bradfield View Post
so any generator with over 6500 watts? reason for asking, its 90+ degrees and our home AC unit crapped yesterday. I have 30amp service for the RV but only 1 AC running, they say we cant get a new AC compressor or unit real fast, trying to have a back up plan. running both ac's in the RV would be great.

looking for a portable at Home, Menard, lowes, etc

Your problem is the grey/dark color of your unit. (Besides the minimal insulation Keystone and everyone puts in them). We've a single 15k AC 2010 3445RL Hickory and can easily run the one AC off our HF inverter genny or even a 20 amp shore power line (nothing else with it though). We've been in up to 114 degree heat in CA a few years back and survived on that one AC unit with a couple of tweaks. First, get double LAYER Mylar bubble insulation (Amazon, Lowes, etc.), cut it to fit your windows and slide it in behind the curtains. You can easily piece it together with transparent tape. Leave your awning out as much as you possibly can - it shades a lot of your unit. Doing this, we got between 18 and 20 degree drop in inside temp - but then ours is mostly white. With fans going, that's nice, but doable.

I've said it many times - I seriously do NOT understand why manufacturers think grey, tan, black or anything but white is good for an RV of any kind. They do not put insulation in them worth squat - and they can't! The walls and roof are too thin to do that. If they did, there wouldn't be the room we all want inside!