View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The air bags can eliminate the squat. In addition, if you have the onboard compressor you also can adjust the air pressure in the bags to smooth out the ride when you hit those jerky stretches of interstate or other less than desirable pavement. It won't eliminate the jerkiness but sure makes a big difference.

We've had 3400 owners report pinweight very close to the published brochure weight. We've had others report higher weights. I forgot the highest but I think it was around 2500 lbs. A lot will depend on how heavily you load the rig and how you load it. By that I mean weight behind the axles will reduce pinweight. In front of the axles increases it. The farther forward, the more of the weight goes on the pin (I think that's right. Someone correct if not.).

Our 3400 will be here by the end of August. After it's loaded as we run with it I'll take the weights and see where we're at. In any case the pinweight should be significantly less than the 3300 lbs on our 3295RK.

I think overload springs can help and possibly keep things level, as well. I don't have any experience with them on a tow vehicle.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote