View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #28
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWilsonPE View Post
Good question, I chose 12ga wire from a chart that said I could run 75 ft with 6 amps at 12 volts. I added 30 ft to what was probably 25-30 ft factory run so I figured 12ga was good. The accent lights are by far the biggest draw at 6 amps, the rest are half that or less. With the lithium batteries I get more like 13+ volts so I think that helps too.

The dimmers smoothly reduce the draw from 6 amps all the way down to less that 0.5 amp before the lights turn off. The dimming action is smooth with no fluttering. These dimmers are rated for 8 amps @ 12v.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The install was a challenge but there is a lot of room to pull wires to the basement through the wall behind the control panels. Each dimmer is 4 wires +/-, in/out, so that’s 20 wires or 10 pair to the basement the pendant light switch is upstairs. The InCommand panel wiring is very accessible and well labeled. I can take a pic of the wiring mods there if you like.

The light switch systems still work the same way as before and I can leave the dimmers where I want them.

Best, Mike
Hi Mike,

This is a great post!
I would really like to see pictures if you can post them. This is a solution I have been working on without success.
I reached out to Montana and InCommand to check on availability of dimmers. Basically, InCommand does offer dimmer modules that will then show up in the display. However, these are not available aftermarket, and as of a couple months ago Montana has no plans to incorporate them.
I like that your solution with rotary knobs can actually work, as I had given up.

Thanks in advance for anything further you can share!
Brad