View Single Post
Old 11-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #14
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
On a related note to this thread ... there's been scads of lively discussions about tires, weights, and axles over my many years on the MOC. You'll find a good majority of dedicated responses are from full to long timers here. They travel with near everything they own and do weigh in at or are a tad over max GAWR or GVWR ... however there are several of us that post or lurk on any RV website that are not full or long timers and upon weighing our fivers, find we do not travel anywhere near max GAWR or GVWR. Weigh your fiver loaded to average travel, inflate to a tire load chart, don't fret about the word "MAX". The IS is a good system as are other suspension mods, but expensive. Take a good look at how you RV ... if you only tow 1500 miles a year ... do you really need the upgrade?? Again ... don't fret about the word "MAX" unless it applies to you.
I'm anal about maintenance ("good service gives good performance") and probably do alot more than is required just for my own piece of mind...like rotating my trailer tires every winter...driver side of trailer has a huge slide with res fridge, pantry that has alot of canned goods, water, soda plus entertainment center...other side has kit table w/2 chairs and a pos RV love seat...1 side is alot heavier than the other, so I rotate for piece of mind...do I have to? No. But I'm able, and have the tools/knowledge to do just about anything for repairs myself at home except structural welding (but I have a good grinder) Going from 10 to 14 ply tires is going to affect ride quality (yes, I know use load chart to determine tire pressure) but I dont know how much. Being a lighter HC model is going to amplify that I think. I doubt very much I would pull the trigger on IS & disc brakes on this model, but the shock absorber kit looks promising, and would help jarring on the trailer, and yes, provide some piece of mind. The trailair pinbox was a decision we have already made.
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote