View Single Post
Old 03-12-2023, 10:02 AM   #1
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
Starlink Experience

I'm posting this as an informative post about my Starlink experience. We've had the Starlink RV plan for several months now. Our home is in NW Arkansas and we are currently in Mesa, Arizona and have been for 3 months. I have also just been informed that Starlink is raising the price on their RV package from $135 to $150 per month. My antenna has a very clear view of the sky and my router is in direct line of my TV in the RV and about 25' away. On the rear TV, the router is right next to the TV. I am also aware that Starlink will give priority to residential users in the area where the RV user is attempting to connect. (Maybe that's what's happening but I can't be sure.)

We cannot stream Sling TV without having it buffer several times during a half hour show. At times, the TV goes completely black and it takes 30 seconds to a minute for the TV to return to the program. The same thing happens when we stream Paramount +. These are the only 2 services we stream on Starlink.

We have been able to use the internet to answer emails, handle banking and do research on the computer but the internet will cut out periodically and buffer before the device returns to what you were doing. We do not run a business as we are retired.

We decided to use Starlink so we had internet security while paying our bills and getting information ready to file taxes. We also wanted to use it to stream our TV services but it's clearly inefficient for that.

I'm not much of a techie but the speeds I'm getting on Starlink are: 112 Mbps/4.0 Mbps upload and 57ms Latency. That is according to the Starlink app on my phone.

I am not trying to bash Starlink. This post is meant to inform other RVers of the true experience we have with this service. With Starlink, you can pause your service at the end of your service period which is nice. We are starting to wonder if the new $150 per month price is worth it for the service we're receiving.
Bakersfish is offline   Reply With Quote