View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 09:03 PM   #15
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendodom View Post
Wow, seems like I have seen a lot of posts recently about shackle breaks. I don't see how this could be unique to Montana frames, since most every 5er I have ever seen is basically constructed with the shackle weld to the frame.

I have a 2019 3721RL that i am currently fixing to install the cross braces in all three spots of the springs hoping it will provide more stability for such strength issues.

Thanks for your picture details.

The shackles, depending on frame/rv, can be "lightweight - 1/4"" or heavyweight - 1/2".....that is a huge difference. Some models stretch the weight limits of axles, shackles etc. If you are the top of the line in that particular model you will hit the max for axles, springs, shackles etc. You don't really know where that is unless you do some research.

This trailer came with 6k axles. I didn't like that and with a gvw over 14k they seemed sized to small. Conversations with Keystone said they size them to support the trailer....minus pin weight. Well, they have no idea how anyone loads, effective stresses put on the trailer/frame etc. Just a cheap out. I knew it when I bought it and thought I could "live" with it...I can't.

I have bought and paid for new 7k axles, upgraded springs, MorRyde suspension, heavy duty shackles/wet bolts and disc brakes. The disc brakes are probably not something I should expect from Keystone; an "adequate" suspension is. Not griping; knew what I was doing and wanted the trailer. Just a mention to look at the sticker on the trailer giving you weights and what they actually put on the trailer to support it....which will be minimal if not inadequate.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote