View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have my druthers on using a powder. What happens when the powder gets wet? Does it cake? Will caking have an affect?

I'm for the 303 protectant, or even a 100% silicone spray. Just recently I did not want to get the expandable ladder out, so I took the awning rod, cut a strip of microfiber cloth, tied it to the loop in the awning rod, saturated it and ran it up inside the wiper seal. Then I ran it up the outside. If I were to do it on a ladder I would get one of my socks, put it on my hand and saturate it and use my fingers to run up inside the wiper seal.

Remember that there are three sets of seals on each slide. The one that you see when standing outside is the "wiper seal." It's purpose is to squeegee water off of the surface. The actual seals are on the outer flat surfaces on the face of the slide and on the inner flat surfaces. When your slide is out you can look ath the place you bump your head all the time and see a seal. If the slide is in you can run your fingers around the frame that goes against the wall when it is out, and you will feel that seal.

They should all be lubricated periodically with a non-petroleum based substance. Petroleum can ruin rubber after a prolonged period of time. (don't know how long)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote