View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Don't forget to find shore power of 50 amps. 30 amps will not run two A/Cs. Many campgrounds are still predominantly 30 amp, with some 50 amp limited to certain areas of the campground, so make it a top priority when checking in or reserving when inquiring about the availability of hookups.

I met someone who had the adapter to convert the physical 50 amp connector to a 30 amp connector to plug into shore power and didn't understand why he couldn't run both A/Cs. I did explain that besides the connector, the ratings are a separate consideration. Only a 50 amp connector AND a 50 amp power source will get you what you need. Just because you can convert the physical connector, doesn't mean the power rating goes with it. He ended up leaving the campground since it was 30amp only. But he did learn something. None of us are too old to learn something, happens to me all the time.

Back to the subject. My old 2006 rig is prewired for a 2nd A/C but only the 110 wire. There is no control wire or an easy way to tap into the existing ducting. I would get a discrete A/C with its own controls. I do agree that getting a 15K unit is better for those extra hot days, or if the other unit goes out it's better to have more than less for just a few dollars more.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote