View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
That number seems very low but if the weight of everything you carry in the truck should not exceed 1978 lbs then that is what the sticker says. That would include the trailer pin weight, the hitch in the truck bed, passengers, and all cargo not in the trailer. So yeah your truck is way over loaded just adding the empty trailer, let alone all the other stuff. Sounds like time to upgrade the tow vehicle.

The 10000 number is the gvwr of the truck. that would be the maximum weight the truck could weigh with everything loaded on it including the pin weight of the trailer. The curb weight of the base 2500HD with the diesel engine with fuel and the driver is estimated around 7350 lbs from my read. That would give a payload rating of 2650 lbs depending what options are on the truck.

A very lightly loaded trailer might get under that spec depending on how you load the trailer, it all depends on what you are planning on taking on your road trips, what trailer options you will add and what you carry in the truck. Remember you have to count everything, the hitch, gear in the truck, sewer hoses, water hoses, wheel chocks, food, toys, clothes, water, I mean everything. It adds up quickly.

My guess is you can't do it by the numbers but that never stopped a lot of people.

One option you could do is put all the 3500 rear suspension pieces on to strengthen the rear axle support but then you are still legally 2500 and if by chance you get tangled up with the law you could find yourself in some hot water, but I would rather see you get the right truck for the job first.

My choice is still a dually 3500.. strictly by the numbers, others will disagree. A fully load Rv fifth wheel trailer with a GVWR of around 14000 is at the top of the 3500 SRW envelope. a 14000k loaded flatbed trailer with a gooseneck would be at the top of a 2500HD envelope. that kind of trailer usually has a lower pin weight than a RV fiver. Two different animals, same weight but the 2500 truthfully can really only handle one of them and not the one you want it to. JHMO

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote