View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 05:13 AM   #16
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
When we first got our 5r, I did what was mentioned by someone above (and the dealer) and pumped 3 times while I spun the wheel. Good to go. No. No grease to the front bearing.

Did that until I read how the EZ Lube worked. Then I pumped the equivalent of a tube per wheel (also mentioned above) until old grease came out. Good to go. No. Got to thinking. In order to get the old grease out of the back bearing thru the front, I'd have to add a tube of grease each time to make sure the old grease from the back bearing came thru the front bearing. And since there's not a magic wall pushing the old grease out. The old and new will mix. BTW, after pumping a tube of grease in there and then the next year pulled the wheel, I found grease had slipped thru 1 seal. I also discovered a burr in the spindle and I suspect that was the reason for the leakage.

So now this is what I do. Pull the wheel and inspect the brakes and spindle. Inspect the rear seal and bearing without pulling the bearing. Pull the front bearing, inspect it and repack it. Reassemble the wheel assembly and pump half a dozen pumps of grease thru the EZ Lube to grease the rear bearing and call it good.
If I was going to do it that way, I would be replacing the seals while I'm in there. Just Too cheap not to do it.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote