View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 06:05 PM   #55
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
OK,

Here's what we have learned. There are two up-grade Kits available from Dexter.

Your Axle spacing my not be exactly 33" or 35". They could be off by 3/8" or so, but it's still a 33" or 35" Kit.

35" Axle spacing gets the K71-449-00. It's measurements are bottom holes 7 3/4". Vertical height to top hole is 2 7/8". This should be for Rigs with 16" Tires.

33" Axle spacing gets the K71-359-00. It's measurements are bottom holes 5 3/4". Vertical
height to top hole is 2". This should be for Rigs with 15" Tires.

If you measure your stock equilizers and the numbers are within a 1/4" of these your good to go, provided you have measured the gap between the coach frame and the top of the spring eye at the equilizer connection. When measuring the coach should be level. This Gap needs to be Min. 1 3/4".

If your stock measurements are greater than 1/4" off from the Dexter measurements, more thought needs to go into your decision. I changed from a 6 1/8" x 2 1/2" to a 5 3/4" x 2". To accomplish this I had to weld a spacer in between the center hanger. In this case I would NOT recommend anyone repeating what I did. Instead use your stock eq., re-bush it and add the zerk fitting. Then buy the cheaper Kit (because everything else is the same) and use all the other Dexter parts.

When all is said and done, you need a min. of 1 1/2" of spacing between the frame and the top of the spring eyes.

Now that I have a stock set that I don't need I would like to start a rotation for those folks that have a stock 6" 1/8 x 2 1/2" and want to do this up-grade. You would have to re-bush them and add zerk. I could do this before I ship them for the folks who can't do this type of work. When you get yours done you would send your old set to the next guy, and so on.

I had my Axles aligned today by a suspension specialty house, and they have put hundreds of these Kits in all sorts of Rigs. So were not the only ones needing this up-grade.

Hope this helps.

If anyone out there has more info please pass it along.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote