View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Any suggestions in resolving this issue with Keyst

We have a 2004 3575 Montana which we bought new. Initially we had some minor problems with our 5W, mostly poor workmanship things or bad supplier items, which our dealer repaired or attempted to repair. The second trip for minor fixes resulted in still a couple of do overs--creaky steps and leaky bathroom drain.

On our way to the JazzFest in New Orleans where we had made arrangements to get about eight items repaired before our warranty ran out, all hell broke loose and we were afflicted with the dreaded "frame flex". Wanted the dealer who was going to fix our few items to see if it would be safe to travel and what fix could be made--he ended up just blowing us off two days before the appointment. It was another three weeks before we could find a dealer in Valdosta to take us in. They had our rig for nine days to survey, get instructions and parts from Keystone and then fix it. Several days were spent dealing with Keystone which didn't ship parts, shipped wrong stuff, etc. The dealer was busy, but wanted to take care of us and send us on the way--they weren't the problem. They complained about the way Keystone conducts its warranty business. Therefore, they got us an appointment with the factory and sent us on our way--the temporary fix didn't work. The entire 5W was just coming apart. When we got to Valdosta our list was 28 items plus the frame problem. Each stop we added another one or two items to the list. The walls were falling down and being stressed apart like pizza dough.

By the time we got to the factory, our list was up to 48 items plus the frame/wall problem. The customer service folks were regularily updated on our way there so they knew what all the problems were well before we arrived including the list FAXed from the Valdosta dealer which included a new countertop that broke under the flexing. Lots of requests for information when ignored--like how do you get to the repair facility.

I marked all the items needing repairs with red tape and a 3 x 5 card, explaining the problem--even with that some items were missed. They spend three plus days fixing it and overall did a fair job, but had to come back a few days later since they didn't have the countertop although they knew about it for three months. They did a very poor job in installing the countertop. They kinked the hose to the faucet, cracked the base for the support posts, installed one of the posts upsidedown and did a bad job on the caulking. Also a drawer crossbar was replaced badly and later broke, causing the drawer to fall and break. I recaulked the countertop, repaired the drawer and crossbar.

Because of all the flexing and the way everything was coming apart, I was greatly concerned about things which could have been broken or stress where they weren't seen. Talked to John Armstrong (pretty sure that was his name) and he assured me that everything that came in for repairs was warrantied for 90 days after they were done and it covered anything that was related to the original damages. Asked me if I wanted that in writing and I said no, since Keystone would have to approved it anyway, so if I couldn't trust them what good would it do. Wish that I had something in writing to take to an attorney now.

In addition to the kitchen problems, the steps still creaked (4th complaint), the shower drain still leaked (also 4th complaint), the airconditioner CB needed replacing and wasn't, there is a rattle under the sofa area and the replacement flashligh had just died. Not a big list and all were items which had been repaired at the factory. I had emailed Goshen asking them to send a new base and crossbar to our dealer here before our appointment.

When we got to our dealer and the service manager called Keystone, and they denied that we had any warranty. Lots of explainations to the service manager about what had happened there. (Our dealer gives a 90 warranty on their work)t I called customer relations and finally some things started to move after five hours! Upshot of it was that a person named Bob Hanson only would approve three items and not logic regarding the ones he chose: the flashight, the creaky stairs and the propane regulator. I called him to find out what was going on with our claim and he was extremely rude and arrogant. Told me that he only spoke to dealers and not customers and that everything was our dealers fault. He was mad that I had been given his phone number. Talk about being angry, if I could have reached into the phone, he would be speaking in a higher voice.

Before this conversation, the dealer (service mgr) told me of the problems that dealers have with Keystone and to be fair, other mfgrs. The factory wants the dealers to commit to an amount of time for repairs and won't pay them for any overage. Our shower drain problem wasn't fixed properly by the factory and they build them! There could be many factors which could cause the leak and they may all have to be tested, so realize why they can't specify a set time frame. In the meantime, we are currently out on a limb without authoriztion to repair faulty factory fixes and poor workmanship. It wasn't our fault that they screwed up. We have spent time and money--gas ain't free, and still need rightful repairs.

Think that Keystone needs an ombudsman to cut through all the BS and give fair customer service. I guarantee you that we will never purchase another Keystone product after this shabby treatment and will never recommend anyone else purchase one.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote