View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Not A Rookie anymore…I think

My wife and I are celebrating our first year of the RV lifestyle in a 5th wheel. This last weekend on our way home from camping, we talked about all we have been through over the last year. I must admit, it was a daunting task to learn the lingo, perform the checks and be safe while still managing to enjoy ourselves. We have driven the Oregon coast and conquered the mountain passes of Oregon and Washington.

I still vividly remember leaving the lot of Tacoma RV never having towed a 5vr. The terror and chipped teeth from clenching as we rounded that first corner, to the look of terror when I saw stop and go traffic on the freeway. This soon gave way to cautious optimism as I learned how the trailer pulled. Then the dreaded driveway backing job. I was so nervous, I couldn’t even talk.

Soon we were getting pretty good at setup and take down. Times were getting better. I do remember thinking I had made an expensive mistake, going into a 5vr and why would people do this to themselves. Once set up though, life was good.

As time went on, minor problems arose. With the expert opinions of fellow MOC’ers (Montana Owners Club) I was able to work through the problems. It also helped a lot that our friends had a sob 5vr and had been there done that. My friend Loren was able to assist me in most situations.

I have learned a lot. My terror has given way to enjoyment. Obstacles in backing have given way to challenges. I now can get her in the driveway on one shot, and tight campsites do not cause me to break out in terror related sweats.

I now look forward to hooking up and hitting the road. I have no reservations on our route. I have learned that as long as big rigs go that way, I can go that way. I only need to plan a little more on the route. On our bike, we avoided gravel roads and that was about it. With the trailer, we have to watch for low bridges and narrow roads. I need to plan my stops a little more as in lunch and make sure we have a spot for the night.

We have learned a lot in our short time and feel we are now “sophomores’ at the RV scene. Thanks to the MOC for your insight and guidance when asking those ‘important’ questions. We look forward to many more adventures down the road. I just wanted to pass this on in case any rookies were feeling the same as they go through the wide range of emotions during that first year.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote