View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Flymutt

Nice "phish". BTW, how do you fish them and what do you use. Do people fly fish for them? I fish the West but not THAT far west.
The gear used here is as varied as the people who attempt to catch the fish. We are very close to a large metropolitan area, so you can imagine the "sights" you see on the river. Those who fish the river a lot use a 10.5 to 11 ft drift rod with either a level wind or center pin reel.

Bait varies from shrimp imitations to larger flies for those who do fly fish and often they are quite successful. Some use roe, spinners, spoons and spin n glows. I almost exclusively use a small bit of colored wool on a #4 barbless (mandatory) hook tied with a bait loop to hold the wool or roe.

With all five varieties of Pacific Salmon in the river it sometimes is a bit of a challenge to identify them when they are fresh out of the ocean. Jimmy I think you were jerking my line.... that is not a Pink (humpy) on the rocks, it was a Spring about 10 lbs, the black spots on it's tail among other things identify it.

Had finger surgery 6 weeks ago, if I did not have to see the surgeon this morning I would be back out on the river. It is hard avoiding the DW's very large to do list, so I am using brownie points I have been saving up....LOL
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote