View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Thank You Ever So Much!

This is for the two MOC members who were here in Quartzsite earlier this year. You had to flap your gums and tell the BLM Head Ranger that members of the MOC overstayed the 14 day limit in past years, and the BLM rangers never appeared much less checked on them. One of you had never been here for the Circle and the other was here for only a week or so. They both posted their interchange on the MOC, although one has subsequently deleted their post, and their impression the BLM was going to strictly enforce the 14 day limit this year. Thank you ever so much for your assistance, particularly mentioning the MOC by name!!

The head ranger chewed out the ranger responsible for this area. There has always been a “don’t ask, don’t tell” attitude enforcement of the 14 day stay rule during January due to the many event and thousands of RVs here in Q. But not this year! The BLM ranger is pissed and the MOC is suffering as a result. He has been here numerous times documenting license plate numbers. He returned today with the announcement he will return in the morning to ticket everyone who is beyond the 14 day limit. There are thousands of RVs in this area, yet no other groups, i.e. the homeless, the campers in the “out of bounds area”, the many who dump their grey and black tanks indiscriminately, those who have been here for months, and the crazies who have been shooting off fireworks or guns, have been targeted. Only the MOC group is being scrutinized.

A handful of us have been coming to Quartzsite early to stake out an area large enough for the MOC, marking it out, encouraging other campers to not park in “our area, and setting everything up for the rest of the members. That includes posting the location and directions so arriving members may pull into the prepared spaces with little to no hassle. The reward, thanks to two members, is the advance team has been thrown out by the BLM ranger. Yes we have been here over the limit. But no one abuses the system. The ranger said he hates to enforce the limit (and he normally doesn’t during this time of year), but because two members contacted his boss and he suffered, so shall we. There is no exceptions, no excuses. We are to be out of here by noon tomorrow or suffer the consequences.

So we will leave as directed. We probably will miss the potluck due to the move. And I can assure you; in future years we will not be here early to prepare the circle. We have been happy to do it for the last four years, but, if there is a next time, we will just show up enjoy the hard work and effort of someone else.

As for the two members who didn’t have the sense to not incriminate the MOC folks, I sincerely hope to never see you again at a MOC event. Even if you have the audacity to show up, don’t expect me to acknowledge you.