Thread: San Diego
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The reason for this behavior was provided earlier by the software support folks. It is:

Most phones auto rotate the view for the viewer. If you take a pic in landscape orientation the pic will display properly regardless of the way you turn the device. The forum can't do that. Most phones default camera orientation is portrait - folks shoot a pic in the Portrait view and it always looks fine to them - they upload the pic here and it displays in it's default view (on it's side).

The solution for most folks to fix this is to open the image holding the phone in portrait orientation, and resave the image on their device. When they upload it here - it should behave correctly.

As stated, I have found that if I take a pic in Landscape mode, it uploads correctly. If you take the pic in Portrait mode, it uploads rotated. I use a Samsung phone. Your mileage may vary.

I normally upload the phone picture to my PC. Not only to save it in an album, but ensude the rotation is correct for the MOC.

It seems that most of the photo display tools on the PC will attempt to correct a rotated orientation. I use Window Explorer, the View set to big icons, to find pictures. W.E. displays the rotation as it will appear when uploaded to the MOC. But clicking on the pic, depending on the program associated with the JPG. usually rotates it to the proper orientation. Don't ask me why.

Here is a screen shot of a W.E. view of some pics. The second pic from the right (20160719.163810) was taken in Portrait mode but W.E. previews it as Landscape.It does appear correctly when I open it with my default picture viewer. I have to "Rotate" the JPG using a picture editor to change the orientation before uploading to the MOC.

Attachment 6326
I also learned that on the i-phone (Live) setting that it wants to turn the photo sideways when uploading to the forum. Turning that off seems to help.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote