View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Bill if we saw a chart of our utility power electric power it would be a nice curved line up and back down. A cheap inverter this line is squared off straight up straight across the top and back down. When we speak of dirty powder from a generator is this what it is or is it something different?
While we have you on a roll I’m going to pick your brain.
Thanks Lynwood
Now you are getting into something I am not too familiar with. I know square wave power will work for resistive loads and some motors. But it can damage other more sensitive devices. Sine wave is a much better option.

I knew this post was going to generate a lot of discussion. But what else is there to do with the weather too cold to get out and otherwise occupy yourself?

But while we are having fun, lets talk about current flow. We all understand that current flow is those little electrons flowing thru a wire. And that is true. And we all think of current flow as those electrons flowing from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. And that is false.

Atoms (in this case making up the metal wire) are made up of a positive charged center composed of protons and neutrons, and negatively charged electrons orbiting around that center (something like moons around a planet).

Electrons have a negative charge and actually flow from the negative power terminal to the positive power terminal! Holes flow from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. What is a "hole"? When a voltage is applied to a circuit, those little electrons get excited, start jiggling, and electrons in the outer layer of an atom (those with a weaker magnetic attraction to the positive core) will break free, leaving a hole in that atom structure. That hole leaves an opening for an electron from a nearby atom to jump from its atom to that atom. An electron needs a nearby hole to be able to move. That action cascades until lots of those little guys start jumping from atom to atom ending up traveling from the negative power terminal to the positive power terminal and creating current flow. And since the electrons are traveling from negative to positive, the holes left behind are traveling from positive to negative. One is called electron flow, and the other called hole flow. Hole flow is what is thought of as conventional current flow since it flows from positive to negative. Doesn't really matter unless you are into semi conductor theory. And even I am not in that deep.
Now I will go back and hide.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote