View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I get that everyone is tired of hearing folks talk about what is the "BEST" truck. BUT I will say this once again:

Its not about what YOU drive It's about RECOMMENDING that others drive something that may be unsafe!!! Just because you are happy with a 3/4ton SRW does not mean you should RECOMMEND same to a newbee with no idea!! If you tell a newbee that you are happy with YOUR truck you are basically telling them it is suitable for them to use. You have to be willing to admit the limitations of what you drive. I have zero hesitation with telling someone about the issues with the width of a dually. NOBODY likes a wide rear ended truck! And yes a diesel engine costs more and has higher maintence. But to suggest that a safety feature such as an Exhaust Brake is not important is almost criminal!

And yes I do RECOMMEND to people asking for advice that they CONSIDER getting a truck that is one size larger than the minimum requirements (particularly if they are close to the limits) as a SAFETY cushion!! SAFETY should be the number one concern and EVERYTHING else should be secondary to that. I will repeat this again: When you buy a large 5th wheel you are signing on to the fact that you will have to make some compromises to safety with your tow vehicle.

If your towing a 20' rig which is well within the weight limits of a 3/4 ton srw I have no issues with you so long as you don't recommend the same tow truck to a newbee with a 40' rig!

I will admit that I don't think of the Montana line as 20' lightweight trailers. They are meant to be the large pinnacle of the Keystone line and with that in mind is how I dole out advice. And yes I do recommend that buyers think about the possibility that they might be getting a larger trailer before they trade in the truck and also consider the trade in value because those are IMPORTANT things to consider when you are buying a truck.

One last time: its not about YOU, its about your ADVICE to someone else!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote