View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #18
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
Door size

I built a dedicated 30' x 50' steel shed with 17' eaves (sidewalls) and a concrete floor for our 5th wheel. I had the space, so went ahead and put 14' x 14' garage doors on each gable end so I could just drive through. I have another garage door that is a 10'x10 and allows me to store additional stuff on the other side. There is ample space to negotiate and to put the slides out when needed. One of the most important goals was to have the building "mouse proof" so I didn't need to worry about rodents. As you may know, rodents can do extensive damage, thus the metal building. The garage doors fit snug against the concrete approach whereas, sliding doors will not. I make sure that the area around the shed is always clear of any vegetation as well and place crush rock around the perimeter to help, you might say, I'm pro-active. I keep baited mouse traps inside just in case, but in the 5 years since we built it, there hasn't been a rodent in the building. Since we winter in the south, I rent out the space to store other people's stuff, including RV's that have not been infested with rodents. It's been a win-win decision. I agree with what others have discussed regarding over passes and 14 foot high door will be more than sufficient in height.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote