View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #18
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
We started in 1985 with a 12' Jayco Popup (that was made in the 60's), then a 20' Wilderness Bunkhouse, then a Terry 25W in 2000. We switched to a MHC 325 RL I believe, around 2013. That was around 34'. We fell in love with the 3820FK (stupid me going to an RV show) and bought it to use in retirement which is in 2 years. It's just over 40'. We just came back from 3 weeks on the road from Utah to Massachusetts, and we travel Utah to Napa at least 3 times a year. So how is this relevant to your question? First, We used to camp BLM land a lot more, and still do, but I've never had difficulty finding a commercial campground that couldn't accommodate at least 70' length. Reservation usually required. BLM land is trickier (usually for ground clearance not length) but it hasn't been a problem yet. Second, we've always wished we had more space. What we have now is about right. There are some national forest sites that I'm jut not going to get in. That's OK. My biggest issue now is finding a Costco with a parking lot that's not too full so I can get in without worrying about hitting something. You get used to, and get very good at maneuvering pretty quickly. I can tell you between my MHC and the 3820FK which is 6' or so longer, it hasn't made much difference on where I go. My suggestion would be to look at the KOA website and for the places you want to go, see what size rigs they can accommodate. Same thing for the Recreation.Gov site. It will tell you the maximum vehicle length. I agree with whoever said it above, I see 45' Diesel pushers everywhere and I can go anyplace they can.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote