View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 04:39 PM   #119
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Ricjfaa and JandC

Both the definitions of Commercial Vehicle and the difination of Personal Use Vehicle in the Florida uniform vehicle traffic code do not say anything about being paid to do the job.

You do not have to be paid to come under the Commercial Vehicle definition. All you have to do is not be in compliance with the Personal Use Vehicle definition. Neither one says anything about being paid to do the transport.

To be a personal use vehicle you must comply with the definition of one. To put that in a short statement it is as this. To be a personal use vehicle the Truck and Trailer has be owned or leased by the operator and all material contained on or in the Vehicle or vehicles must be for the personal use of the owner or leaser.

I have seen other post on the truck forums about people getting stopped because the trailer or the vehicle on the trailer had a tag on it that was not registered to the owner of the truck and trailer. This one was a fellow helping a friend recover his car using his truck and race car trailer to get his friends car home. There were multiple citations issued from no CDL, no DOT cert on truck and trailer, and no current DOT inspection on truck and trailer.

It has nothing to do with whether or not you are being paid to do the transport.

As for insurance in Florida the liability insurance on a trailer is part of the towing vehicles insurance not a special rider or anything just the hookup to the trailer it come under the towing vehicles liability insurance.

All other insurance covering lose in case of theft or accident is a separate policy and does not come under the towing vehicles insurance.

Phil

PS: just for information I am approved in some federal court jurisdictions as an expert witness. About a month ago I gave a dissertation to a panel of 5 officials and when I was finished there were no questions. At the brake I had an attorney come to me and make the compliment that he had never seen such a detailed presentation.

This was an aviation question and it takes a lot of study of the regulations to do do that
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote