Thread: Being Level
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Being Level

Is a truck actually considered "level" when at the height it would be with no load in it?

And a related question, is the trailer considered riding level when the truck bed is at it's unloaded height and there is about 4-5" of clearance between bed rail and trailer. OR is it considered riding level when you park it on a smooth level surface and can put an actual level on it and the floor is level (like you would consider level when unhitched for camping)?

I ask wondering if it is ok for there to be some "squat' under load as it actually brings the truck and trailer into true level? Is it better to not "lift" the truck bed back up with air bags?

Considering how tall some of the truck beds are these days it is a wonder anyone can get the trailer to ride level.......

Which brings me to another question. Is it more important for the truck to be level or for the camper to be level? I know if the truck is unlevel there is the old headlights in the trees and the steering can be a bit light which might be a safety concern. But on the other end of the stick is the concern that an unlevel trailer would not be evenly balanced across all it's axles?

It's sort of a catch 22 and I am really wondering what would be the right approach?

I am not trying to start another popcorn session but I did notice immediately that our 1 ton DRW did not have headlights in the trees like our old 3/4 ton SRW. BUT I have not checked to see if we are actually riding level on both the truck and camper. For certain the bed of the 1 ton is far taller than the old truck which makes me wonder if I am nose high on the camper.

If your trailer is nose high because of a tall truck should you consider adding height to the trailer some way (maybe longer shackles)?

Does Independent Suspension add any height? I was seriously considering that improvement along with disc brakes.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote