View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 06:24 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Quote:
4. We would only boondock for 1-2 nights at a time perhaps 3 at the max. Would like to have at least 1 air conditioner work etc..
The primary variable here is where and how you are boondocking. The question of whether the the air conditioner will "work" is different from whether you can run the generator longer than the limited hours that it may be allowed to run or that it may be run with consideration for your neighbors.

There are vast stretches across the south (especially Texas) where you would need an air conditioner to run all night to sleep comfortably; while in the mountains of Colorado you might not need the AC at all, or only in the hottest park of the day when it would be reasonable to power it with a generator.

We traveled last Summer through Texas to New Mexico and Colorado in our 34' fifth wheel with a portable Honda on a rear carrier on the trailer. We planned our stops in Texas to have electric hook up, but in Colorado we were able to use our generator during the day as I have described above.

We do have the soft start on our main AC unit and our Honda is a 3000i (inverter) model. We would not want to have an onboard generator, but prefer this portable model.

My main message is: Have a realistic idea of the limitations of when, where, and how you can run your generator in the kind of boondocking site where you plan to stay.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote