View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #15
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelife View Post
I could certainly be wrong but from what I've read when you add weight to your trailer you can generally account for 20-25% of the added weight added to your original pin weight. So in this case if I had 1000lbs of cargo to my camper I'm upping my pin weight by 200-250lbs.
For overall trailer weight yeah the 20-25% pin calculation is more or less valid. In this case the batteries are much closer to the pin. Usually in front storage bay. Therefore the percentage of the added weight going on the pin will be much higher. Think 50-75% of the battery weight or more. Yes you can load additional weight at the back of your rig to counterbalance this, but that loading drill kind of defeats the purpose of the autonomy one would be looking for doesn't it?

At this point, I'd suggest you look in LFP batteries to save weight. Expensive yes, but might meet several potential needs you seem of have overlooked like payload on your tow vehicle rear axle or potential trailer overloading. You do not mention what trailer you have, what truck you have, nothing except doing a lot of boondocking. Without out more info it is hard to give specific recommendations. Its all a big balancing game. What works for one person's situation may not work for another.

The factory pin weight that is published does not include optional equipment. so the Onan will add 250 lbs, if you add 500lbs of batteries less the 60 or so that came with it, then add the weight of the inverter and other electrical gear and wiring you could be upwards of 1000 lbs but not likely. if you use the 50% for this front stored equipment and batteries then figure on ~400 lbs of additional pin weight just for those items. Can your truck handle it now??
JHMO.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote