View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 09:40 PM   #37
Deejaybee727
Established Member

M.O.C. #28288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
We are generally away for 5-6 months during winter. Life in a small town makes this a bit easier. Several neighbors watch the house. We have a night light in the front window that will go out if the power is off or the temp inside drops below 45deg. Tell the mail man that we are going and he delivers our mail to the SIL who looks through it and trashes 90% (junk). She calls if something looks important, but we pay nearly all things online. When we get home we go through mail and trash another 90% of what she has held for us.
I shut the water off at the main to avoid any major flooding from a burst pipe and hire someone to blow the snow out of one side of the driveway incase I need someone to get in for a repair or something.
Never really considered a security system. Like I said, small town life is good.
I'm learning that we have the option through the postal service to do a temporary change of address & forward our mail to General Delivery at the post office near where we'll be staying most of the summer, so I'm thinking about doing that until about a week before we go home, then do an online Hold Mail order at home for our last week or so. If anyone has experience with the temp change of address I'd like to hear it. Hoping that wouldn't turn into a fiasco!
Deejaybee727 is offline   Reply With Quote