View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 07:02 AM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
In April 2021 we had installed a stackable Splendid washer and dryer. I knew the units were very heavy and the space allocated in my Montana was not desirable, especially since the closet shelf collapsed 3 times. And then I finally rebuilt the interior and reinforced everything. So I knew the cabinet would NEVER support 2 machines like this.

My washer/dryer space is located in the rear bed room. One set of doors in this cabinet face the bedroom. The other side opens into the bathroom, so you can access the cabinet from both directions. This made install a bit easier.

The thing I was most worried about was the water heater. It sits on the floor, flimsy rails stapled into the Styrofoam support the shelves above that. The thought of everything collapsing on the water heater was unthinkable.

So, before the install, I did some prep work.

Here's a "before" photo of the cabinet.

The first thing I did was remove the shelves.

Then I built supports from the bottom up. I do not have photos of that completed work, so to give you an idea, I added lines in these photos where I added the supports. I first measured very carefully and I made sure each piece fit very, very tight. I wanted really good support. I left the original cheezy stapled rails on the walls. I did not remove them. I ran parallel (new) supports under the cheezy supports and then wedged uprights under them from the bottom (floor). I then used a ton of liquid nails to hold them place and then screwed a couple screws into each piece to help hold it in place so the Liquid Nails would set up. Between the Liquid Nails and the screws, those new supports will NEVER come out or fail.

After the bottom shelf was supported, I laid 3/4 inch plywood on top of the original cheezy supports. It was cut tight to fit, and it was a challenge getting it in. This was the new base floor. Then I built the second tier the same way. I left all the original cheezy supports on the walls, so if we ever sold the camper, I could simply remove the washer and dryer and replace the original middle shelves, between the 2 main ones.

Here's some photos of what I did. I had to draw the lines to indicate where I added the supports, since I didn't get photos of that:

The end result was a success. Thousands of miles bouncing over the roads and absolutely no issues with the shelves.

We did end up keeping the doors off the cabinet on the bedroom side. The washing machine and dryer doors opens left. Then the cabinet doors were in place, neither door opened wide enough to use comfortably. We kept the door and they are stored away in our garage at home. Again, if we ever sell the camper, I'll put them back on.

Yes, this took a lot of work. It took me about 3 days to do all the fitting, cutting, measuring, re-measuring, and cutting new pieces because I miss measured and they ended up too short or did not fit tight enough for what I wanted. Then I took the time and painted all the visible supports a brown color to match the rest of the trailer trim, and of course I sealed the 3/4 inch plywood with water sealer treatment before installing (there were 2 of these for each main shelf.

Yes, it took work, it took time, and my red DNA is imbedded in those walls forever, But the end result was worth it. So, yes, you can use the upper shelf .... if you take the time and effort to do it right!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote