View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The key is knowing the pin weight. Calculate the pin weight about 18% to 22% of the gross weight. Most 5ers carry the cargo weight at the front of the rig (BR clothing and goods, front storage gear, basement storage gear and most heavy addons, W/D, 2nd A/C, etc.)

The documented pin weight and dry weight mean nothing to most of us. We NEVER use our rig with nothing in it, so use the GVWR, GTWR and actual weights as your determinations. If your GTW is anticipated at 12,110 lbs, then the PW will be about 2179 lbs (minimum 18% pw) to 3,072 lbs (maximum 22% of GTW).

You must know the weight of your TV, its RAWR and how much it weighs, then add the cargo, all the hitch hardware (nuts/bolts, hitch base, hitch head and rails), passengers, full fuel tanks and propane tanks then see where you'll be.

If you are within the all the weight ratings, especially of GTW, GVW, RAW, GCVW then you are not required to purchase air bags. If you are close, then you might want to check that any axle of the TV or RV are not overweight.

However, helper springs and air bags can be added to improve the ride, prevent sag (and bring the headlights back down) and prevent your discomfort of just not being as level as you'd prefer. I added airbags to my ride but in my case, with my 4x4, my front end was in the sky. The airbags did greatly improve everything for me, but they DO NOT increase any weight ratings and they'll tell you so - I know because I asked them (Firestone) and they said "absolutely not, it doesn't!".

Have fun with the new RV!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote