View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #25
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Angie Miller View Post
Cracks me up when everyone hates on marathons...They are good tires, just not for your rig...Our previous unit was a Cougar and we ran marathons exclusively (2 sets) for almost 8 years including a trip from Missouri to Florida and back with ZERO problems. We switched to "D" rated marathons after experiencing 2 blow outs...1 on the first trip out (3 yr old factory "D" rated tire not sure how many miles on it), the other on the next set of tires (mexican "E" rated tires <2000 miles.) So why did I have good luck with marathons? Many reasons....1st, that trailer was much lighter...it is my opinion ALL trailer manufactures put cheap tires on to begin with...in some case maybe even barely adequate (see post #3 and #4 above). I found I had been exceeding the speed rating on the mexican set of tires...that blowout was probably my fault. Others are guilty of this, but wont admit it, some are not even aware of what their tires speed rating is. Lesson learned, I dont exceed 65mph anymore, when on "D" rated marathons. We take care of our tires, keep them covered from UV rays when not on the road, tire age is a factor also. I change mine out every 4 years, regardless of mileage. We are diligent about proper air pressure, not just the max pressure listed on the side mind you. Get a tpms unit...know what your pressures AND temperatures are...tire temperature may have clued you in sooner that you have an alignment problem. It could also warn you of a wheel bearing getting hot. Get your trailer weighed, fully loaded. Is your weight properly distributed, or is one tire carrying more than its share of the load? All of these things can help avoid a blow out...putting on a tire with a higher load rating is not always the best answer, it may just prolong your next tire issue if you don't address your underlying cause, alignment in your case (see posts 7 and 9 above). To all those here with more grey whiskers than me, I mean no disrespect, just sharing my personal experiences.
Just buy Sailuns and worry no more!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote