View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 04:27 AM   #34
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Phil P: Please explain how to use ez lube without blowing grease through the seal into the brakes.

Hi

Look at the video there is an error in it.

#1 do not use an air operated grease gun.

#2 do not use a rapid application of the hand operated grease gun.

Last but not least don’t pump the grease gun while the wheel is NOT turning.

The last portion of the video shows the grease gun being pumped while the wheel is not turning. This cause the grease in the rear bearing to be harder to push thru the area between the rollers. The increased pressure required to move the grease thru the rear bearing could push the seal out of the hub or cause the seal to leak.

If the black grease that comes out before the clean colored grease looks like metallic paint then that hub must be removed.

The first time you do this you will put most of an entire tube of grease in each wheel hub.

Purchase an endoscope they are $15 on the internet they are about 15 feet long and will operate on your smart phone. Looking thru the hole where you adjust the brakes will show you if your seal is leaking.

Also when I tow the Montana I stop somewhere in the first 20 to 30 miles and check my all of the wheel hub and tire temperatures including the TV with my hand or a laser thermometer then at every stop thereafter and the end of the trip. On a hot summer day the temperatures on all my tires and hubs including the TV run right around 120 degrees. The day I get more than a 15 or 20 degree temperature difference between hubs I will find a place to remove a wheel and check further. Don’t mix up the temperatures of the braking system with the hub the temperature you want is in the hub out board of the brake drum or disk. When you find a hot hub it will be apparent.

During the trip wife always wants to stop to walk the dog or something so I check the temperatures while she is doing whatever.

Also the video shows a boat trailer I don’t recommend the E-Z Lub hubs for this application the Buddy Bearing system is much better on the boat trailer application.

I have been in the maintenance business for almost 50 years I have performed maintenance and inspections on a large variety of equipment including jet aircraft. I can spend a good bit of time telling you about the odd failures I have seen and the odd remedies some have used that worked for a specific application.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote