View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Strange new electrical issue

First let me say I know not of what I speak. I am simply reporting what I have been told and that is second hand. A friend of my that hauls a relatively new 3295 called last night to tell me he burned out most of the wires in his front compartment. He got home from Texas, backed under his shed, rolled up the umbilical power cord and put it in the pinbox. Then he plugged it in to a 50 amp plug and Whamo! He took it to a repair shop today and they ultimately told him that his umbilical power plug is hot at the center when it is plugged in. Apparently the center on his sticks out a bit and the shop said it came in contact with a bolt in the pinbox and shorted out.

As I said, I know none of this first hand and my knowledge of electrical issues consists on turning on the switch. Perhaps some of you experts can comment on the plausibility of this story.

UPDATE I have now heard from the owner of the rig so the info is a bit more dependable. It was not the center pin but on the outside somewhere. They traced the wiring all the way from the converter to the end. They agree that everybody, including them, puts the cord in the pin box but they won't be doing that anymore. If I learn anything else I will post it. Oh, the damage turns out to have been not too bad and confined to the cord.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote