View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 05:06 AM   #12
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
GFCI outlets are typically used in so called "wet" locations. Anywhere near a sink, kitchen or bathroom, and outside receptacles. The GFCI receptacle will protect any receptacles that are down stream from it, so an easy way to find the others is to manually trip the GFCI and then test various receptacles in those "wet" areas to see which ones are not working. Reset the GFCI and make sure those that were not working also reset. GFCI receptacles do go bad, sometimes even new ones. If it resets and doesn't trip again, you're fine. If it always trips when a certain device is plugged in, then that device is suspect and should be checked.
Things with motors, like a skill saw, will trip one very easily. Not sure why, but I had to run non GFCI circuits in my garage in the S&B so I could do any kind of work. They just don't seem to like saws. Also, if you try to use one in a campground pedestal, you will likely run into the same issue. I have an adapter for 30amp/20amp to 50amp pigtail that works well, but not if the 20amp is a GFCI outlet on the pedestal. I ended up making my own 30/30 to 50 adapter and I carry a non-GFCI outlet around just in case I need to temporarily replace the pedestal outlet. Some places I have been have 2 30amp plugs and no 50 amp. If only 1 30 amp and 20 amp, I can put the 30 to 20 amp adapter on one of my plugs to get the same result. Less pigtails to carry around that way.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote