View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 01:27 PM   #14
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
I am working on gathering the parts to put a 50 amp outlet on the front of my rig so I can run one (or two) generators in the bed of my truck to power AC and Fridge while travelling. I also intend to install Micro Air Easy Starts on both AC's. We don't boondock, but may for a night or two while travelling if we are able after this upgrade.
I have narrowed down generators to (I think) either the HF Predator 3500 or the Cummins Onan 4500i, both inverter generators that can be paralleled if needed.
Here's my question...
What if any difference would it be to use a parallel connection kit or just use my existing dog bone that combines two 30 amp connections into a 50 amp connection? Wouldn't that do the same thing without needing to purchase a parallel kit? Is there any safety issue or other concern with doing this?
I bought the dual 30 amp to 50 amp dog bone for use in several of our frequent South Carolina and Georgia spots that do not offer 50 amp, but do have 2-30 amp outlets in the service panel. I know it's not a true 50 amp (100 actual amps) but I am able run everything we need off the dual 30 amp including both AC's, microwave, water heater, residential fridge, etc. without tripping a breaker. I've never had a lack of power for anything we've done when using the dog bone and only 2 30 amp outlets, so I think there's enough power for my needs.
With generators that big I doubt you need two, but if you do, the dual 30 to 50 is possible but you will likely need to rewire one of the 30 amp plugs. If you get it wrong make sure you are well away and outside so you don't damage anything. I am a retired electrician, and I would not try what you are doing.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote